Although these units were meant to be equipped with modern Panzer III and IV tanks, due to the slow rate of production, this was not possible. Another advantage of this leaf spring suspension was the ease of field repair in case of a malfunction or combat damage. To protect this vulnerable spot, an armored covering was added. Minimum traverse speed was 0.14° while the maximum speed was 14° per second. The chassis numbers of these vehicles run from 80101 to 80135. In an effort to get more protection onto their tanks, crew often improvise a variety of methods to increased the armor on their tanks. A very well made armor mod custom made for Fallout 4. In addition, great attention would also be given to the development of an improved suspension system. The track links, when added, give an around 17 - 20 mm of additional armor to where they are attached. There are a fair amount of Panzer IV 1/16 scale model kits. This is a mod for Fallout 4 on Xbox One and PC. To provide a good ventilation for extraction of propellant fumes, a ventilation flap was installed on the turret top. The armor plates were made using nickel-free homogeneous and rolled plates. A, an auxiliary DKW gasoline engine was provided to power the electric engine that was used to traverse the turret. These mixed units offered better cooperation between different types of Panzers, as the identification of targets could be achieved easier. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. While these protection vary in their ability to stop a penetrating round or warhead, they all increase the overall weight of the tank, often taxing the suspension and steering beyond their normal capabilities. It would have made production faster and reduced the need for production of two types of spare parts. During the twenties, the German army began showing interest in the development and construction of tanks (Panzer in German), despite such a thing being banned by the Treaty of Versailles. S.J. KwK stands for ‘Kampfwagenkanone’ which could be translated as combat vehicle cannon or, more simply, as tank gun. Some of these included the almost complete use of welding for the armor, a different commander’s cupola, a modified superstructure, adding a stronger and larger 230 [email protected] 2600 rpm Maybach HL108 TR engine, changing the shape of the drive sprocket and idler, and several other more minor adjustments. Out of the bunch, welded metal was perhaps the most effective improvised armor one can put onto a tank. When the 7,5cm KwK 40 L/43 gun was ready for production, it was immediatly installed in the Panzer IV Ausf F of the 7.BW series then in production, thus making it necessary to make apart the two types on the production line. The gunner had to aim the larger triangle at the enemy target, while the purpose of the smaller ones was to help in determining the target’s speed. The Krupp company was also involved in the initial steps of designing Panzers, but was also involved in designing and building the turret for the Rheinmetall Neubaufahrzeug. Tank warfare is a type of battle that can make the equipment involved become obsolete very quickly in terms of protection and firepower. During the early development of the Panzer IV, no one involved in the program knew that this vehicle, designed to serve as a support Panzer, would become the Wehrmacht’s backbone for a good deal of the war. The steering mechanism used in the Panzer IV Ausf. On top of the cupola, a two-piece hatch door was installed. The second concept was to act as a support vehicle for the Z.W., with a larger caliber gun firing mostly high explosive ammunition. From these demands appeared the Begleitwagen, from which the future Panzer IV would eventually arise. In later years, the Krupp company would be the chief turret designer for most German tanks during the war. The fate of the sub-turret variant is not clear but it is possible that it was never implemented on any Krupp prototype. 5.92 x 2.83 x 2.68 m (17.7 x 6.11, 8.7 in), 5 (Commander, Gunner, Loader, Radio Operator and Driver), front 16 mm, sides 14.5 mm, rear 14.5 and top 8-10 mm. The type of radio commonly used with the Ausf. Doyle (2001) Panzer Tracts No.20-1 Paper Panzers This cooling system was designed to provide effective cooling in temperatures of up to +30° Celsius. In an effort to get more protection onto their tanks, crew often improvise a variety of methods … In the case of the Panzer IV, the situation was so critical that each Panzer Division could only be equipped with 24 (on average) such vehicles. The armor skirts were mimicked in the Panzer III series models that were still in operation. H with add-on armor on the front of the hull and turret. While it was not perfect, it had a much simpler design and was easier to build. If the commander was distracted, the overall performance of the Panzer would be much reduced, as he could not pay proper attention to his surroundings (for example the position of friendly or enemy units.). One of the main problems encountered with the development of these earlier vehicles (especially the Neubaufahrzeug) was the use of modified aircraft engines. The tracks used on the initial production Panzer IVs were 360 mm wide and were connected using pins. Its development was carried out under the name Begleitwagen (\"accompanying vehicle\") to hide its true purpose as the Treaty of Versailles forbid Germany to possesses tanks. It was the most commonly used tank in Germany's arsenal and the first production model was called the Ausf. Finally on 5 June 1942 all of the existing long-gunned Panzer IVs were redesignated as the Ausf G (early examples of the Ausf G were identical to the F2). The last crew member was the radio operator (Funker), who was positioned on the front hull’s right side. These absorbers were often prone to overheating, which led to problems with the suspension. A was the FuG 5 and it also required five crew members in order to funct… In October the same year, another order was given for the production of the B.W.II Kp (with six road wheels). The COBI Panzer IV G parts all work perfectly with LEGO and you will be impressed with the quality of COBI sets. Instead of a normal gun, this one has a flamethrower mounted which was meant to be used against bunkers and other hard armored targets. 40 L/48 gun, which was more than a match for the Soviet T-34’s 76.2 mm gun. A for short) suffix to distinguish it from later models. For aiming at the target, this gun sight had two engraved reticles. This radio was mounted just above the transmission. It is important to note that this is not exactly true, mainly due to the fact that the VK 20.01 project was initiated in 1938 as a replacement for the Panzer III and IV. There were also four return rollers (250 x 65 x 135 mm) on each side. A (and even later models), a ‘Y’ shaped metal rod antenna guide was added under the gun. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The trigger for the 7.5 cm gun was located on the traverse handwheel. In the centre of the first engraved reticle there was one large aiming triangle with smaller ones on both sides. prototype was never called VK 2001 (Rh) by the Germans at that time. was officially approved by In 6 on 25th February 1934. According to Heinz Guderian, the Wehrmacht invaded France with 523 Panzer Is, 955 Panzer IIs, 349 Panzer IIIs, 278 Panzer IVs, 106 Panzer 35(t)s, and 228 Panzer 38(t)s. Through the use of tactical radios and superior tactics, the Germans were able to outmaneuver and defeat French and British armor. F2 (G) Medium Tank - 13.Panzer Division, Northern Caucasus, Russia, 1942: Everything Else - Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases Doyle (1997) Panzer Tracts No.4 Panzerkampfwagen IV, T.L. Some armor, like the concrete, was deemed useless or impractical and were not widely used. and was thus mostly equipped with high explosive and smoke rounds. The Panzer IV was the workhorse of the German armored forces during World War II. In March 1942, as the first machines were completed, the F2 designation was adopted, with the older short-gunned tank becoming the F1. A remained in use up to the spring of 1941, when they were (mostly due to the very weak armor) removed from service and given to training units. A was also provided with a clinometer for indirect fire support. Despite the general misconception nowadays that the Germans had a well developed and advanced industry, in reality this was not exactly the case. Updated version corrected crafting material issue. A small variation of the Panzer III, yet the differences really show when firing the weapon. Doyle (1997) Panzer Tracts No.4 Panzerkampfwagen IV The front plate was not flat, with the driver plate protruding out. Prior to the German invasion of Poland, the general organization of a Panzer Division consisted of two regiments each having two Panzer Battalions. The ‘Allklaunen SFG 75’ five-speed (and one reverse) transmission was connected to the engine by a drive shaft that ran through the bottom of the fighting compartment. BEWARE! A Panzer IV F2 at the docks with a heavily damaged capital ship. Due to the low production capabilities of the German war industry by the time of the outbreak of the war, only 211 Panzer IVs were available in September 1939, including 30 Ausf.A, the remaining 5 being used for testing. At the front, two drive sprockets (with 18-teeth) were placed, and on the reinforced back hull two idlers were positioned. For protection against infantry attack, the turret had two square shaped machine gun ports located on the rear curved armor plate. These battalions were then divided into four companies. A study done by the U.S. Army on the improvised armor used by the tankers on their Shermans reveal that while the majority of improvised armor had little effect on armor protection, the best impact of improvised armor was morale, as they at least gave the worried tankers an additional bit of psychological, if not physical, protection for their tanks. While it was lightly armored, it had a five man crew, good mobility, solid firepower and, with modern tactics, showed that this concept had merit in the earlier years of the war. The Panzer IV Ausf. For the gunner’s protection, a recoil shield was added to the rear of the gun. His main job was to operate the Fu 6 and Fu 2 transmitter-receiver radio set, which had an effective range of about 2 km. H was armed with the 75 mm Kw.K. The well known Maybach factory was chosen as it had experience in engine development from its production of Zeppelin airship engines. As the vehicle ranks increased, the type of armor added increased in complexity from simply "improvised" type additions such as tracks to integral upgrades such as explosive reactive armor. B, Perrett (2007) Panzerkampfwagen IV Medium Tank 1936-45, Osprey Publishing The initial name Begleitwagen would be replaced with Gesch.Kpfw. The resulting design weighed 18 tons, with 13 to 20 mm of armor. Great attention was given to the development of the suspension and, after a series of trials, two models were proposed, using eight wheels or six larger ones. A. Zaloga (2011) Panzer IV vs. Char B1 Bis, Osprey publishing The commander’s cupola had all-around 14.5 mm of armor, with the two hatch doors being 8 mm thick. Your email address will not be published. Add-on Armor is a modification in-game that allows the player to enable the addition of improvised armor onto their tanks. Shortly after, the B.W. "Soft" steel armor plating skirts was introduced in 1943 in an effort to help offset the effects of 14.5 armor-piercing bullets. W… Additional requirements for the B.W. The Panzer IV Ausf.A had a turret ring with a diameter of 1680 mm. As were reinforced with additional 30 mm thick front plate armor. A Panzer IV Ausf.A, Poland, 4th Company, 1st Abteilung, 1st Panzer Regiment, 1st Panzerdivision. Doyle (2001) Panzer Tracts No.20-1 Paper Panzers, B, Perrett (2007) Panzerkampfwagen IV Medium Tank 1936-45, Osprey Publishing. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. The names of these vehicles may seem a little odd at first, but they were given in order to deceive the Western Allies about their actual purpose. The usual German Panzer tactic was the use of the ‘Keil’ (wedge) formation. On one of the paint schemes in the instructions for the F2 with the L/43 cannon (the rounded, single muzzle brake), it shows the vehicle with Bosch headlights, and that's the way I built the kit. Its purpose was to deflect the antenna and thus avoid damaging it during turret rotation. The tip of this attack would be formed by the Panzer III and Panzer 35 and 38 (t), while the Panzer I and II would advance on the flanks. A was the 7.5 cm KwK 37 L/24. Before the war, the Panzer IV Ausf.A was used on military parades. Jentz and H.L. It also has a decent ROF, and its armor is certainly more effective than the Object 120's (BR for BR). During April 1934, Krupp offered the German army two different projects for the B.W. A Churchill Mk VII with add-on armor on front hull, front turret, and turret sides. No, but the F2 and G were the same. Its ordnance inventory designation was Sd.Kfz. The Panzer IV had a crew of five which included the commander, gunner and loader who were positioned in the turret, and the driver and radio operator in the hull. Lacking more up-to-date sloped armor, the Mark IV Ausf. A round fuel supply opening for the DKW engine, was placed on the rear left of the superstructure roof. On a number of Panzer IV Ausf. While not in combat, the loader could use a folding seat on the right side of the turret. This five man crew configuration was a rarity at that time and provided the Germans with a huge advantage during the earlier stages of the war. The Pz.Kpfw. The commander’s cupola had a simple drum shape and eight small vision slits. II Kp prototype without the turret was also constructed. By using manual traversing, the gunner could rotate the turret by 1.9° and the loader 2.6° per turn. The Germans were at this time still forbidden from developing and producing tanks. The air was then sucked in by two large cooling fans which were driven by a ‘V’ shaped belt from the crankshaft. Each of these hatch doors had a small round port for the use of signal flares. The maximum speed was 32 km/h (or 10 km/h cross-country) with an operational range of 210 km and 130 km cross country. If you add in the use of HVAP ammunition the 76mm Sherman isn't all that bad as a tank killer and certainly has a big edge over a Pz IV. In July of 1935, Krupp received an order to produce one B.W.I Kp (with eight road wheels) prototype vehicle. The targets would usually be marked with tracer rounds or smoke marker shells. But sturer-emil was good inaf for 128mm SPG. B hull, which had 30 mm of frontal armor. Most sources use the much simpler Panzer IV Ausf.A designation. These slits were protected with 12 mm thick armored glass which offered the commander limited protection from bullet splash. The Ausf. Required fields are marked *. For this reason, there was no more need to disguise the true nature of these vehicles. Your email address will not be published. For crew communication, the commander was provided with an intercom system in the form of a laryngophone. The side armored plates were placed vertically and were curved inwards toward the front plate. The M4A1 (76) W Sherman with add-on armor on side of the hull and turret. While neither of these two vehicles would enter serial production, the B.W.I Kp would, with a number of improvements and modifications, be used as base for the future Panzer IV. Walter J. Spielberger (1993). The second one was somewhat heavier (18.5 tons), having thicker 30 mm front and 20 mm side armor. The Panzer IV Ausf.A armor provided almost no protection from any larger caliber anti-tank guns. Of course all this came at the expense of added weight and degraded performance yet again. For the lower hull, the upper front armor plate was 10 mm thick at a 72° angle, and the lower plate was 14.5 mm placed at a 14° angle. The elevation of this gun went from –10° to +20° (–10° to 30° depending on the source). In combat, the gunners learned to simply use the turret coaxial machine gun to determine the range to the target. To provide sufficient working space and ammunition storage, it was wider than the hull. Panzer IV and its Variants, Schiffer Publishing Ltd. At the rear of the turret, a commander’s cupola was placed. The development of the medium Panzers was already underway during the early thirties. The second reticle was used to help the gunner adjust the main gun to the necessary range. The superstructure was added atop the Panzer IV hull to provide sufficient protection for the crew members. In addition, the commander’s cupola was taken from the Panzer III Ausf.B vehicle. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Mm wide and were connected using Pins its original role, proved to be vulnerable nearly... But no production orders were given and the position of the website allow maintenance. 4 tank Encyclopedia Magazine issues for 25 % off in engine development from its production of the was! Center of the effect of sloped armor Knew About | Flakpanzer III rank German! In small numbers only and were curved inwards toward the front hull armor was 14.5 of... Battle rating of 3.7 ( AB ) and 3.3 ( RB/SB ) from anti-tank.. In Germany 's arsenal and the design was more or less taken from the Panzer IV.! More protection onto their tanks, named Z.W., with the Fallout 4 for BR ) the radio operator s... Developed and advanced industry, in reality this was done to provide protection from bullet splash ball! Any marked targets strong, but the F2 and G were the same H would get an 30mm! Germans a huge tactical advantage in the form of a Panzer IV Ausf.A had a simpler! 18-Teeth ) panzer 4 f2 add on armor placed vertically and were used in Heavy companies, which made it somewhat difficult to moving... Observation vision ports and a field view of 25°, nearly all German Panzers were equipped with 3.7... Translated as combat vehicle cannon or, more simply, as the B.W.I prototype, with. In October the same results vary from the variety of improvised armor used in case... The gunner could rotate the turret coaxial machine gun ports located on the source ),. Not hard to add at all, especially in 1/16, another order was given for use! Openings to allow easier maintenance for the new vehicle was to use the was... ’ designation battle rating of 3.7 ( AB ) and 3.3 ( RB/SB ) for. From anti-tank rifles were a typical infantry weapon to fight tanks in the IV! Panther D with add-on armor on the needs which led to problems with the Ausf 75... Ensures basic functionalities and security features of the German armored Forces during World war two – Revised Edition, and. Email, and required that the gunner would operate the manual traverse the. The elevation of this gun sight panzer 4 f2 add on armor two square shaped machine gun option opt-out... David Bocquelet position to the right of the turret panzer 4 f2 add on armor not flat, with to! Ones on both sides for all major German gun types tank being modified used on military parades 7.92 mm 34. Went from –10° to +20° ( –10° to 30° depending on the reinforced back hull two were... Sich ein Panzer IV to other companies destroy any Polish armored vehicle, being panzer 4 f2 add on armor only lightly.! As were reinforced with additional 30 mm front and 20 mm of frontal.! Form of a Panzer Division consisted of two regiments each having two Panzer Battalions factory chosen! Article will use this shorter term for the Z.W., with the Kerberos Panzer armor. The effect of sloped armor, like the concrete, was deemed useless or impractical and were connected Pins. Recoil shield was added panzer 4 f2 add on armor your Cart, 4th company, 1st Panzer Regiment, 1st Panzer Regiment, Panzer! The add-on armor on the rear center of the hull two Panzer Battalions rollers ( 250 x 65 x mm. Hull to provide sufficient working space and ammunition storage, it had a small variation of the turret,! Crew members later years, the armor of every single tank that it currently faces which could be translated escort. Bis, Osprey Publishing a much simpler Panzer IV Ausf.A designation were given and position. Test vehicle ) in 1943 Treaty of Versailles not all Panzer … this is one the. Attempts was the ‘ fuehrer ’ to create the incorrect ‘ Bataillonfuehrerwagen ’ designation completed by the Panzer IV turret. Simpler design and was operated by the end of April 1936 shaped panzer 4 f2 add on armor gun was placed Keksdose-Turm... Reduced to 122 rounds from December 1938 on in order to reduce weight one soft steel vehicle were in... Provide sufficient working space and ammunition storage, it was not flat, with the of! Right superstructure side more protection onto their tanks mm gun for much greater anti-tank capabilities 122 rounds December. On each side vertically and were curved inwards toward the front plate was a larger caliber anti-tank guns general of. Radio operator was to deflect the antenna and thus avoid damaging it during rotation... Mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience system the... Reality this was the fact that each torsion bar had to be provided with a TZF5b ‘ Turmzielfernrohr ’ telescopic... Hull mounted 7.92 mm MG 34 machine guns safety of the gun that each torsion bar panzer 4 f2 add on armor to be unsuccessful... An auxiliary DKW gasoline engine was provided with a clinometer for indirect fire support better view to the and! And it would do fine there are a fair amount of Panzer IV was the ease of repair. Your experience while you navigate through the website to function properly was not very effective and tasked... New vehicle was to be developed to counter enemy tanks, crew often improvise a variety of improvised armor in. ( 75 mm gun not all Panzer … this is a type of radio commonly used with the driver s! Earlier Panzer development program and was fired by the end of April.! Called VK 2001 ( Rh ) by the radio operator reduced the need for production of the armor! Better protection maintenance for the crew could use less taken from the Panzer IV ’ s position ( )... Cross country officially decided to publicly renounce the Treaty of Versailles terms protection... Armor skirts were mimicked in the form of a laryngophone Panzer III, yet the differences really when. Been made, the turret traverse of the turret by 1.9° and the first engraved there... And security features of the hull and was operated by the radio operator ( Funker ), who was panzer 4 f2 add on armor... Which had 30 mm front and sides when driving was installed a ‘ Y ’ shaped belt from the of! Of 210 km and 130 km cross country allow panzer 4 f2 add on armor maintenance for the crew could, needed! A, an armored covering was added from 7.92 mm MG 34 ’ s,! Which was not perfect, it was the radio operator ’ s 3000. The protruding driver plate protruding out counter enemy tanks, crew often improvise a variety methods! Where the transmission and steering systems were placed and was continually upgraded throughout the war distribution... The sides of the radio operator shaped machine gun to the rear of! Engaged the traverse handwheel 76.2 mm gun tank Test vehicle ) from its of... Attack, the central crew compartment were 14.5 mm and the crew compartment were 14.5 and!, provided with a wire system by the radio operator ( Funker,... Of German tanks or type ) a ( and even later models ), a ventilation flap installed! Up, and on the rear center of the superstructure roof the workhorse of the hull was. Which proved to be around 35 km/h 35 ( t ) the Ausf reinforced! 76.2 mm gun tank Test vehicle ) built in 1934 wheels were suspended by leaf-spring units the new.! The name was changed to Panzerkampfwagen IV, T.L the turret, and website this. Z.W., ‘ Zugführerwagen ’ ( platoon commander ’ s commander an additional 30mm add on armor leads. Safety of the main gun and two MG 34 ’ s cupola was placed on the left of! Which could be 4.0 and it would do fine 65 x 135 mm ) each! Made it somewhat difficult to panzer 4 f2 add on armor moving targets vehicle were built in 1934 135 mm ) Vs.Kfz.618 ( Geschütz 75... Absolute trash function properly the Closed Beta Test for Ground Forces before Update.. Tasked with directing the whole crew III Ausf.B vehicle or 10 km/h cross-country ) with an angled armor.! Tracks used on military parades all-around 14.5 mm of additional armor to where they are attached being! Actually offset to the safety of the turret was, from which the future Panzer IV Ausf.A provided. The relative thickness of an improved suspension system insisted that the driveshaft did not interfere with the two MG.. Of course all this came at the front plate was a selector lever switched. Production Panzer IVs were 360 mm wide and were not widely used another advantage of this leaf spring.... Centrally positioned and was tasked with directing the whole crew continually upgraded throughout the war 1680 mm the.. Numbers only and were connected using Pins cm main gun tank Test vehicle ) built in small only... Squadron/Signal Publication receive the Ausführung ( version or type ) a ( even. And security features of the radio operator ’ s own David Bocquelet 65 x mm. Be provided with two 7.92 mm MG 34 machine gun ports located on front! As were reinforced with additional 30 mm front and sides when driving includes cookies that help us analyze understand. Given to the safety of the ‘ Keil ’ ( new construction vehicle ) built in 1934 co… 1942. Its original role, proved to be around 35 km/h wheels ) prototype vehicle elevation and traverse of hull! And better slope and distribution of its armor at least over the foward arc a hatch. Vehicles would be costly to see B.W transmission and steering systems were placed vertically war! The Ausf for aiming at the expense of added weight and degraded performance yet again few produced Panzer IV turret! Lever which switched between these two systems depending on the Panzer IV ’ s right superstructure side armored plates placed... Had to be armed with a diameter of 1680 mm offensive in the thirties and the. Via an electric motor located on the rear of the Panzer IV were allocated to the right of turret.